Many a time you want to type in a correct and precise language. Whether you are responding to emails, writing documents and making presentations for portraying the ideas for your business, Dictate does it in the right manner for you. Not even this, Microsoft Dictate enables you to speak whatever you want to write and your device will type it for you.
Microsoft Dictate is an add-in feature for Microsoft applications such as Outlook, PowerPoint and Word. It converts your speech to text by using the state-of-the-art speech recognition feature, which works behind Microsoft Translator.
What are the key features of Microsoft Dictate?
- It is highly accurate in a speech to text conversion.
- It supports 29 spoken languages for dictation.
- It has a real-time translation feature, which supports 60 languages.
- It provides you to visual feedback in order to indicate that speech is being processed.
- It provides you to work in two modes of punctuations in English: Auto and Manual.
- It helps you with commands like ‘new line’, ‘stop dictation’ and ‘enter’ that allows you to have more control while dictating.
What should you do if Dictation ribbon does not appear in the Office applications?
- Firstly, you have to verify the Dictate version you are using, 32-bit or 64-bit matches with Office version.
- Now make sure that you restart the Microsoft Office application after installing the Dictate add-in.
- Microsoft Office applications might have disabled the Dictate add-in.
Note: – You can enable the Dictate add-in for both Outlook and PowerPoint.
How can you enable Dictate for Microsoft Outlook?
- You have to click inside the ‘Tell me what you want to do’ search box.
- Now, type on the ‘Disabled items’, choose the Disabled Items from the results shown.
- Now select the Dictate option from the ‘Disabled Items’ and enable it.
How can you enable Dictate in Word and PowerPoint?
- You have click on the ‘File’ menu and click ‘Options’.
- Now, select the ‘Add-ins’ tab.
- Select ‘Dictate’ option inside the ‘Inactive Application’ add-ins section.
- Click on ‘Go’ option and then check the ‘Dictate’ option in the checklist.
- Click on the ‘OK’ button.
How can you diagnose the issue when no text appears while you speak with Dictate?
To diagnose this issue you can follow the steps mentioned below:-
- Verify the Dictate version you are currently using.
- Make sure you are connected to the internet.
- Verify the microphone connected.
- Click on the mic button in Dictate.
- Verify that your cursor is placed on the text area.
- Make sure you pause for a couple of seconds after speaking a sentence, to see the text result.
How can you eradicate the repetitive dictation output in Dictate?
- Save your work done and close all the Office Applications.
- Now reopen the application in which you were working previously.
- You have to start a new dictation session.
- Now, turn off the option for dictation when you are done.
How can you improve the dictation experience with Microsoft Dictate?
- You need to have a headset, which is compatible with your device, as it helps to improve the dictation accuracy.
- Take a pause in between two sentences to see the dictation output of the add-in.
- To get better results you need to have clear punctuation.
Erica Wilson is a Microsoft Office expert and has been working in the technical industry since 2002. As a technical expert, She has written technical blogs, manuals, white papers, and reviews for many websites such as office.com/setup.